Monday, February 2, 2009

Mario Mayhem

This weekend seemed like one non-stop party. I truly feel like I have a queso hangover today. It started Friday evening with my attempt to create a Super Mario themed birthday cake for the young un. We searched on-line for inspiration and finally settled on this: src=Being realistic, I knew that I would do better with a cake, and that it was for a bunch of 9 year olds, so perfection wasn't in the future. But, my experience as a baker/cake decorator did not give me much confidence going into this fight. Armed with the Mr's Mactop, 2 boxes of fondant and a box of food prep gloves, I started my fondant battle.

 src=
It was actually easier than I thought it would be, a lot like playing with clay. I had a pretty rhythm going that lasted right up to my busting open the buttercream icing box. Then my progress came to a screeching halt. Let me just say that the cleaning ladies had done a wonderful job on the kitchen which I promptly negated with the powdered sugar butter combo. I was so glad the Mr was already in bed and could not witness the mess I created.

Once the icing issue was cleaned up, I was pretty pleased with the results.
 src=

I will admit that Mario intimidated me and I chickened out of doing anything more than his hat.

 src=
At midnight, I threw in the towel and waited for the arrival of our weekend house guests. If you know anything about traveling with kids, it's that they will sleep on the drive and be wide awake when you reach your destination. This was the case with our house guests. Two of the young-un's friends from Louisiana were wide awake when they arrived shortly after midnight. The adults? not so much.

Saturday started way too early with the boys throwing stuffed animals from the loft bed. It was all we could do to get to the birthday destination without drinking. Luckily, the party included lots of "wear them out" activities, like

 src=The adults decided to try out the arcade while the kids were in laser tag, so we grabbed our game cards and let loose. Papaw spotted the motorcycles and tried to plead his case for a Harley.


 src= After Laser Tag and games, the kids devoured pizza and cake while I pouted over the destruction of my creation.

 src= A few more arcade games and I was waving the white flag in surrender. Main Event+ 9 year old boys+ Saturday afternoon= 1 bottle of wine/tequila/rum. src=

5 comments:

Jessica said...

What a great mom you are! I will have to try the fondant.. when I get a little more brave. You have a cleaning lady? Or ladies?? I am SOOOOO jealous. I want one!!!

Karen said...

Great cake! Sounds like a fabulous 9th birthday...I'm jealous, I've never played laser tag before :)

Colleen said...

The cake looks awesome! I think you mean 1 bottle EACH of wine/tequila/rum. At least take out some work angst in laser tag. Hope this weekend is a free one for you.

The Tylers said...

Very cute! Could you please do my kid's birthday cake next year????:)

Tamara Jansen said...

Oh do I remember those days! Believe it or not, boys parties are easier than girls. At my daughter's parties, there were always many tears :)