Saturday, March 28, 2009

NYC Day 2

Our second day in the city was dedicated to scouting out all the places the high school would be visiting. Which meant a very long day. Since our final stop would be West Side Story and I have a consatant fear of being under dressed I wore dressy boots. Did I mention it was a very long day?
 src=
First stop was the Lincoln Center to catch a rehearsal of the New York Philharmonic and special guests PercaDu. Pictures aren't allowed, and the outside was under construction, so no pictures to share. I can share a piece of advice though, don't even think about sitting on the floor there. Even if you're feet are killing you.
Here's the Mr with his favorite composer:
 src= Next stop took us back through Midtown, by way of Radio City Music Hall. We didn't take the tour, but we did peruse the gift shop. And they let you sit down. src= Just around the corner (Thank Goodness!) we stopped at 30 Rockefeller Plaza for a bird's eye view of the city. The Top of the Rock was incredibly windy, but provided such gorgeous views and those fun binocular machines. Which only takes quarters. Which I did not have. Which I traded some other tourist nickels and pennies for so the young un could have a chance to explore. Oh yes I did.  src=
 src=
 src=
On my list for the day was a visit to Serendipity III, due to it's Travel Channel fame as home to world's most expensive sundae. I did not order the sundae, alas there is a 48 hour notice required, but I did snag some frozen hot chocolate. Service left a lot to be desired (we waited over an hour for our lunch) and the food was average. But the frozen hot chocolate was divine! Plus, I got to rest my feet!
 src=
 src=
Thankfully there was a subway close to Serendipity, which I cried tears of joy to ride. It took us down to Ground Zero for my first look. It was late in the day, so we didn't get to go in St Paul's, but the firehouse across from the WTC was open and we visited the memorials there.
 src=
 src=
 src=
 src= It was such a different vibe to the city, so we continued down to Battery Park to watch the sunset on the river. So crazy to think that a plane landed on it not too long ago.
 src=
 src=
The young un was impressed with his first view of Lady Liberty, and I was impressed with the new Staten Island Ferry station. Right up until our subway broke. And we had to get off. In the midst of evening commute. (I should probably point out here that I am a huge fan of personal space. A crowded subway car does not allow for personal space.)

By the time we emerged in Times Square, it was show time. West Side Story re-opened this year for a revival run. This time around, the Sharks spoke Spanish, and "I Feel Pretty" was harder to sing along with, as it was "Siento Hermosa". But it was Broadway, and a fun show, and 2 hours of having my shoes off.
 src= I'll be honest and say that 11:00 P.M. is probably not the best time to take the subway, but I was crying by that point, so take the subway we did. The young un fell asleep on the trip back to the hotel. I wish I could have, but I was to panic stricken with the guy walking from car to car asking for handouts. Thus ended Day 2.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Wow... that sure seems like a lot for one day! But I've never been to NY so I don't know. The Mr lived in Jersey and I'd probably have to twist his arm to get him back up there. I'd love to go, and to see ground zero and the memorials would be special. Great pics!

Colleen said...

Tell the Mr. I am sorry he could not belt out his version of "I'm So Pretty" due to the Spanish. He must have been so bummed! ;) I also wish I could have tagged on with your fam for the Financial District tour...even if there is nothing really to see at Ground Zero.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

This makes me want to go to broadway... and Serendipity for frozen hot chocolate! Yum. Of course, I'll have to make my way over to NY first. :) It looks like so much fun - and sorry about your feet.

Connie Weiss said...

Our second day in NYC...my feet hurt so badly that we ended up taking in a movie so that we could sit down. It was the best $8 I have ever spent!