Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanks




"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." -John Fitzgerald Kennedy


Today I witnessed 300 8th graders pause in their cell phone dependent, 30 second attention span, drama saturated lives to pay tribute to the veterans of our armed forces. For an hour they sat quietly and listened while speeches were given, music was played, colors were presented and veteran's were recognized. I saw eyes tear up at the sound of Taps played by a trumpet ensemble of students. I watched them rise to their feet to salute the veteran's in attendance and shake hands with men in uniform on their way out. I heard them utter words of thanks. And for a moment I forgot they were 8th graders.

No comments: