Wednesday, November 25, 2009

525,600 minutes

Last year at Thanksgiving, I was sitting in an ICU waiting room praying that my brother would come out of a coma brought about by a head-on collision with another vehicle. It was an accident that changed not only his life, but everyone that he's come in contact with.

Thanksgiving is a hard time to deal with tragedy, especially when the focus is on being thankful, for life and health, and family. Our family was there, aunts and uncles and cousins, bringing food, taking home laundry, opening their houses for showers or overnight guests. And through the days of sitting and waiting , we managed to find a few hours to enjoy the company of each other and to give thanks. Last Thanksgiving it wasn't about the banana pudding, or the fried turkey. It wasn't about the Black Friday sales or the Christmas lists. It was a time when we gave thanks for the friends and the family that banded together to ensure that every need was met, every mouth was fed, every tear wiped dry.

So this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my family. For those I see everyday, and for those we keep connected with through the phone or Internet. I am thankful for the friends that prayed for us, fed us, called us, and just sat beside us. This Thanksgiving, "I thank God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy." Philippians 1:3-4.

No comments: