Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Silence is golden

I must admit my first few days of summer vacation I spend doing as little as possible. In fact I try to spend as much of it sleeping as I can. It takes a little bit to adjust from the constant stress and chaos of a middle school classroom to the laid back days at home. Which is why my system goes into shock when I turn around 7 days later and take the cheerleaders to UCA camp. If you thought a kindergarten playground was loud, they have nothing on 11, 12 and 13 year old cheerleaders. I heard every animal possible spelled out today (H-HI-Hippo, J-A-G-U-A-R-S, P-PA-P-A-N-T-H-E-R) and in case you didn't catch it the first 6 times, they continued to proudly shout their mascot the entire length of the hallway, across the courtyard and into the gym. Oh they've got spirit, yes they do! I think most of the neighborhood had spirit by the end of the day. If they didn't, it was because their hearing had been destroyed by the shrieking and "wooos" of the spirit stick award ceremony. I sat in my car for 10 minutes in silence before I could figure out my route home yesterday. I came home to silence that was beautiful! No TV, no radio, no phone... it was golden. I just sat on the couch soaking it in. Today I actually fell asleep 10 minutes after I walked in the door. It is exhausting trying to match the energy level of 20 pre-teens! But I only have one more day, and then they belong to their parents for the rest of the summer. It's the only thought that's getting me through this.
 src=

I have had plenty of Wii time since I don't have to compete with husband or child this week. It's been great for some late night entertainment when I can't "turn off my mind".

No comments: