Monday, January 3, 2011

Meal Planning? Check. Meal Cooking? Not so much.

Still fresh off an extreme couponing high, the Music Man made a resolution to stick to our newly revised budget. Newly revised because last week I paid off my car. His car has been paid off, and now we have the pink slips for both cars. That leaves student loans as the next debt to tackle. But I digress. After watching TLC's coupon divas, MM renewed his vow to make money using coupons. My contribution is to meal plan. Yeah, I know I said that last year and the year before. And I did meal plan. I just didn't meal cook. Cause I am not in my happy place when following recipes involving more than two steps. or those with measurements. or those requiring more than one bowl to mix ingredients. In fact by the time I'm mid way through a dinner entree, I either run out of some key ingredient (cornstarch) or mix up the tablespoon and teaspoon (not good when adding cayenne pepper) or burn/blacken all of the above. Pictures exist in cookbooks so I can identify what I've made for those about to consume it.

In spite of this I'm trucking along with the menu planing. Armed with internet resources, you tube videos, and yes, the Betty Crocker app, I chose these recipes for week one:

Monday- Sloppy Joes made with ground turkey and baked fries.
Tuesday- Spinach & Black Bean Lasagna
Wednesday- Slow Cooker Apricot BBQ chicken wings
Thursday- Beef Stir Fry & fried rice
Friday- Cheesy Meatball Subs
Saturday- leftovers/ free choice

We'll see how this goes. I'm linking up to :



1 comment:

Christy said...

here's something that might help...my own journey down this path. =) All recipes tried by yours truly.

http://thediffidentchef.blogspot.com