Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Milk & Cookies and a whole lotta garland

As is our family tradition, Christmas eve usually involves cooking/baking/dipping of some sort. For the past 3 years, it has also included grandparents & neighbors galore. This year, we're having ourselves a merry little Christmas all by ourselves. Which meant the cooking/baking/dipping was mine alone to conquer. Let's just take a moment to reflect on my kitchen aptitude. Raise your hand if you remember this shining example. But somehow, I block out those little moments and plunge right on in. I figured the slice and bake cookies were my best bet; a few sprinkles and tada!
Look at this yummy dough, just waiting to be transformed into sugar cookie deliciousness.  src=


How about while they bake, I show you around. Let's start with the tree. We usually have several trees in the house each with it's own ornament set. Not theme per se, but more of a cohesive look :) Each year we pick out an "old world" style glass ornament.


Oh, that's one from our first Christmas... straight from Vegas!

 src=

And how can you live in Texas without a gingerbread cowboy on your tree?

 src=


This is one of the young un's favorites.

 src=

Now how about some garland? I loved these bird picks (17 cents!) and thought the gold would kind of add a little to it. It's a start for next year :) We also hung Christmas Cards and Stockings from the railing. There are 38 gold engraved ornaments hanging from the garland. My parents got one for my brother and I every Christmas since we were born. I continued the tradition with the young un.

 src=

 src=Last but not least, we have the guest bathroom. A little more 17 cent wonderfulness and I can feel satisfied that Christmas has indeed been here.


 src=Now let's go check those cookies.

 src=


WHAT?!?! Are you kidding me? Burnt? How do sugar cookies burn in less than 8 minutes? I don't think frosty's going to be coming back to life from this one. What to do, what to do....

Maybe I'll see what my friend Bailey suggests.


 src=


That's a great idea!


 src=


Marshmallows? Check. Melting chocolate? Check. Sprinkles/Peppermints/Coconut? Check.



 src=And yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, and he's going to need some cookies. Let's try dipping them in a little chocolate too.



 src=

Maybe I should try one before setting them out...Yummy! (even if they are a little crispy)

Alright, that looks like it just about does it, all we have to do is plate them (I've been watching the Top Chef Marathon) and we're good to go. How can Santa resist those cookies?


 src=
And just in case the cookies aren't enough, look at that sweet note. This boy is trying to cover all his bases, no?

 src=
So with visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads, I wish you all a Merry Christmas & the most wonderful of holidays.










1 comment:

Connie Weiss said...

Thanks for sharing your day! I love seeing what other people do.

I always drink some Baileys while I am baking! Even if it is at 9 in the morning!

Merry Christmas!